Ryan Palmer serves domestic and international clients across the restaurant, hospitality, retail, and service sectors. He counsels brand and concept owners in the development of franchise and distribution systems and helps businesses resolve disputes with franchisees and licensees. Ryan’s multi-unit retail experience includes representing clients in refranchising transactions, franchise finance transactions, and in the sale and acquisition of franchised brands.
Ryan helps clients build and protect their brand strength through the strategic use of copyrights, trademarks, and trade secrets. He has reviewed and cleared hundreds of federal trademarks and assists clients in policing and defending their intellectual property assets.
Clients rely on Ryan as an outsourced general counsel to provide day-to-day advice on all aspects of business law, including sales, acquisitions, contract review and drafting, and corporate and shareholder matters.
Franchise Times magazine annually lists Ryan among the top franchise attorneys in the country in its compilation of “Legal Eagles” and Ryan’s peers named him to Mpls/St. Paul magazine’s “Rising Star” list for six consecutive years.
Ryan is a shareholder at Monroe Moxness Berg and began a term as the firm’s chief financial officer in 2014. Ryan is also a member of the adjunct faculty at the University of St. Thomas School of Law where he teaches Negotiations.
- Franchise Finance & Growth Conference (Las Vegas, NV), “Franchise Lending,” panel moderator, March 2014
- International Franchise Association Convention (New Orleans, LA), “Best Practices & Strategies to Implement to Attract Banks to Approve Your System Operators,” session facilitator, February 2014
- BoeFly Franchise Lending Spotlight (Houston, TX), “Franchise Lending Today,” panel moderator, February 2014
- BoeFly Franchise Lending Spotlight (Atlanta, GA), “Franchise Lending Today,” panel moderator, October 2013
- Minnesota Real Estate Journal Retail & Restaurant Summitt, “Case Study: Popeye’s and KFC,” June 2013
- National Restaurant Association Show, “Should I Franchise My Restaurant?” May 18, 2013
- Franchise Finance, Development and Growth Conference, “Up and Comers,” panel moderator, April 25, 2013
- Food Service Radio, “Franchising Your Restaurant,” podcast, October 2012
- “Good Question: What Can We Legally Share on-Line?” WCCO-TV, March 19, 2012
- “Eight Common Questions About Royalty Audits,” Franchising World, October 2011
- “Middle Ground: Taking a New Approach to Old Franchisor Problems,” Franchise Times, October 2011
- “Improving the Franchise System: Understanding Franchisee Profitability,” IFA Legal Symposium, May 2010
- “Troubled Franchisees: Franchisor to the Rescue?” Franchising World, September 2009
- “Strategies to Assist Distressed Franchisees,” IFA Legal Symposium, May 2009
- “Gift Cards: Take Care to Follow Some Tough Rules,” Franchise Times, April 2008
- “When is it Time to Change Management?” Franchising World, January 2008
Areas of Practice
Minnesota State Bar
St. Olaf College, B.A., magna cum laude
University of St. Thomas School of Law, Juris Doctor, cum laude
Hennepin County Bar Association
American Bar Association
Minnesota Bar Association:
– Forum on Franchising
News & Events
“Win-Win: Four Topics Often Vex Relationships, But Smart Fixes Do Exist” (contributing author)