Land Use Law
At Monroe Moxness Berg we are passionate about land use matters. We excel at taking client projects from concept to successful completion. Our clients benefit from our more than 40 years of experience in closing deals that have involved everything from industrial parks and office buildings to shopping centers, housing developments and mixed-use projects. Representing private interests, we take pride in helping our clients overcome the political, environmental and economic obstacles to property utilization and development.
Our land use attorneys are experienced advocates with a sophisticated understanding of the business and regulatory environment. In addition to a thorough understanding of the law and regulations, we have built effective relationships with private parties, communities and governmental entities to help streamline the process, negotiating the approvals necessary to make the zoning, development, and land use process function better on local, regional and statewide levels.
We represent clients in all aspects of the land use process, including:
- Permitting and zoning — zoning reclassification, interim use permits, conditional use permits, variances and managing pre-existing, non-confirming uses
- Environmental permitting — preparation and management of Environmental Assessment Worksheets (EAW)
- Environmental Impact Statements (EIS) and Alternative Urban Areawide Reviews (AUAR)
- Comprehensive plan changes and amendments — working with municipalities and counties to effectively manage real estate development and coordinate adjacent land uses to benefit communities
- Subdivision and preliminary plat approvals
- Planned unit developments
- Permitting and licensing
- Environmental regulations—compliance, enforcement, remediation plans, and resolution of regularity disputes
- Conservation easements
- Wetlands and historical preservation
Working with our Public Finance practice group we are able to analyze the legal and financial ramifications of potential projects and pursue financial as well as alternative statutory solutions for complex issues.
We have successfully litigated on behalf of our clients for more than 40 years. We provide experienced counsel and staunch advocacy with a full range of services for disputes and challenges, representing our clients in local, regional, statewide and national jurisdictions. With efficient and cost-effective representation, we are also experienced in alternative approaches such as mediation and arbitration.