Brad represents and advises businesses, business owners and financial institutions in a broad range of transactions including mergers and acquisitions, divestures, capital structuring, financing and real estate leasing and sales. While Brad’s work has ranged across industries such as manufacturing, oil & gas, construction, professional services and real estate development, he has been particularly active in the multi-unit franchise industry, working with franchisees, investors and lenders who require experienced legal counsel and expertise in this area.
Brad’s practice is national in scope: he has worked on and closed transactions from coast to coast and most places in-between. The following is a sampling of the types of transactions Brad has successfully helped reach closing:
- Represented a purchaser in a series of acquisitions which resulted in acquiring more than 400 restaurants and 150 fee properties;
- Represented a seller in divesture of approximately half of its restaurant portfolio and certain real estate assets, with an emphasis on structuring the transaction to minimize and defer tax impact;
- Represented companies buying out minority shareholders as well as minority shareholders being bought out by the company;
- Represented a financial institution with a national franchise lending platform in a series of loan transactions ranging from $40,000,000 to $500,000;
- Represented multiple financial institutions in syndicated and participated loan transactions, in certain instances as counsel to the lead lender and in others as counsel to a participating lender;
- Represented multiple financial institutions in loans to wealth advisory professionals.
Prior to joining MMB, Brad worked in the Bismarck, North Dakota office of a large regional law firm, where he focused on lending, mineral rights and commercial transactions in the energy industry within the states of North Dakota, South Dakota and Montana.
In addition to being an attorney, Brad has prior experience as a certified public accountant, having worked at LarsonAllen, LLP (now CliftonLarsonAllen) in the areas of audit and tax for private mid-sized construction and real estate development companies and as an analyst for a Minneapolis-based real estate development company focusing on the acquisition and development of office, apartment and condominium properties. This broad business experience, in combination with his legal background, allows Brad to look beyond the narrow legal issue and to provide strategic advice which helps put his clients in the best position to achieve both their legal and business objectives.